Baked soup? Yes, indeed.
It is an idea that struck me while I was contemplating what to do with some leftover lentil soup.
It’s simple, speedy, nutritious, and FRUGAL.
Perfect companion? Some pita bread, lettuce or chinese cabbage leaves and an yoghurt based sauce, like Tzatziki Sauce. (Use soy yoghurt if you are vegan)
* 1/2 cup parsley – chopped
* 2 cups lentils, chickpeas, peas or beans
* 1/2 cup bread crumbs
* 1 to 2 tablespoons lemon juice
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 1 teaspoon ground cumin
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce or paprika
* 1 teaspoon garam masala or curry powder
* Olive or sesame oil for brushing
Blend parsley, lentils, and bread crumbs in the blender or a food processor. Remove, place in a bowl and and the lemon juice, baking powder, all spices and mix well. Roll balls of dough into your palms and form them into patties. I used a cream scoop. Place on a oiled baking sheet and brush them with olive or sesame oil. Bake for about 15 to 20 minutes, until the tops are golden brown and crispy.